Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Night Note: A Sad Day

Night Note: A Sad Day:

Today was a sad day for the country, the world. At least 33 people, including a suspected gunman, were killed during shootings in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech. It was the worst mass killing in the history of the United States.



I've sort of been watching the news on and off all day, and it's saddening. There's still much more not known than known, but all you really need to know is that 33 people died today and there is a lot of suffering, a lot of mourning.



Sadly, but not surprisingly, Jack Thompson managed to get himself on Fox News and tried to somehow turn this into something about video games. Keep in mind that we don't even know the name of the suspected shooter, much less what his motive or personal habits were.



A reader emailed to ask that we call for a national day mourning for gamers. A day when no one plays a first-person shooter. While I respect the idea, I'm not sure it would send the right message. I think maybe it would make more sense to do something than to not do something. I just don't know what.



For now, I think I'm just going to go hug my son.


"



(Via Kotaku.)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger